Chicken pot pie recipes vary enormously and this Mexican inspired dish uses tortillas instead of pastry for an authentic Mexican flavor and a light finish. Pastry is traditionally used to make chicken pot pie recipes but it can be a heavy choice if you are watching your weight so if you want the classic chicken pot pie flavor without the pastry calories, try this flour tortilla version. Chili and cilantro adds flavor to this homemade chicken pot pie and mushroom soup is mixed with a selection of vegetables to give a creamy, rich, and very tasty filling.
There are plenty of baked chicken recipes and other easy chicken recipes for Mexican food fans because chicken features in a lot of Mexican cuisine. Not all Mexican food is spicy, contrary to popular belief, and if you are looking for an easy yet satisfying dish, you will enjoy making and eating this Mexican homemade chicken pot pie because the flavor is perfectly balanced and it is really tasty without being either too bland or too spicy. Of course, you can make it spicier if you like.
If you cannot find garlic mushroom soup, you can use plain mushroom soup and add some minced garlic to the pie filling. You will get exactly the same result by doing it that way. This is a quick and easy chicken pot pie recipe, since it does not take long to put together and then it just needs to bake for half an hour. If you love pot pies, try this Mexican pot pie recipe for something a little bit different yet rich in flavor.
- 2 cups cooked boneless chicken breast
- 2 big flour tortillas
- 1 lb frozen vegetables, defrosted
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ½ oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 10 ¾ oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Cooking spray
- 1 chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use one of the tortillas to line a 9 inch pie dish.
- Combine the chicken, soup, chilies, garlic, cilantro and vegetables.
- Spoon this mixture into the pie dish. Put the other tortilla on top and spray it with cooking spray.
- Cover the pie dish with aluminum foil and bake the pie for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake it for another 25 minutes or until the filling is hot and the top is golden brown.
- Cut the Mexican chicken pot pie into 4 wedges to serve and garnish each serving with some of the green onion.