This is a very easy Mexican chicken enchiladas recipe. Chicken is combined with cream cheese, garlic, and cilantro-flavored sour cream and Colby Jack cheese before being stuffed into flour tortillas and baked for a tasty crispness and a wonderful cream and melted cheese topping. Colby Jack cheese is a mixture of tasty Colby and smooth Monterey Jack cheeses, giving it a marbled look. It is semi-hard and mild to mellow in flavor. It is very good to use in this chicken enchiladas recipe and in other boneless chicken recipes because it introduces two very different cheese flavors.
Chicken enchiladas come in different varieties and you might like to try using an enchilada sauce instead of the sour cream for a tomato-flavored topping. If so, simply leave the garlic, sour cream, and cilantro out of the following chicken enchiladas recipe and use enchilada sauce instead. This recipe serves two people, so you can double it up if there are more of you. If you would like to spice this Mexican chicken enchiladas recipe up a bit more, why not add some minced jalapenos to the sour cream mixture. Actually, the easiest way to make that is to add the sour cream, garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos to the blender and puree the mixture until you have a nice sauce.
Because of the sour cream and cheese, this recipe is not low fat but it is a real treat to eat, so why not delight your family by cooking these easy chicken enchiladas for them? They will love you for it! For more wonderful Mexican food try our sister sites dedicated to the taste of Mexico and finish it up with a wonderful Mexican Dessert.
- 2 whole chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 10 oz sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 oz finely diced, canned jalapenos (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Poach the chicken in water and let it cool.
- Shred it, using a fork.
- Stir the cilantro leaves and garlic powder into the sour cream, as well as the jalapenos if you are using them.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine half the sour cream mixture with the cream cheese, and then stir in the chicken and half the Colby Jack cheese.
- Put enough of the remaining sour cream in an ovenproof pan to cover the bottom.
- Spoon the chicken mixture on to the tortillas, rolling them up and leaving the ends open.
- Put them in the ovenproof pan, over the layer of sour cream.
- Drizzle the rest of the cream over the top and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the enchiladas.
- Cover them with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve these creamy chicken enchiladas with Spanish rice and refried beans.