If you are a lover of savory pie recipes, this chicken pot pie recipe is sure to tickle your taste buds. Many people use a honey mustard recipe for sauces but in this recipe, the honey and mustard are combined with other flavorful ingredients such as soy sauce, carrots, and chicken broth for a rich, creamy chicken pot pie, which is far superior to anything you could buy readymade in the store and more nutritious also.
This is a tasty dish, which is ideal on a cool evening. You can serve it with a mound of buttery mashed potatoes and perhaps some vegetables. French fries also go well with this honey mustard chicken pot pie. If you want to serve a wine with this recipe, choose something crisp and dry like a Californian Chardonnay to contrast with the creamy chicken flavor. Pies are great for any season, especially in the fall and winter when they are warming and comforting, but they are also nice on a balmy summer evening if you want to eat something delicious outdoors.
The chicken is first marinated, and then cooked with the onions and garlic. All the other ingredients are then added and finally it all goes inside the pie shell and bakes to perfection. Making pies is pretty easy and it is usually just a question of sautéing the ingredients together and then filling a pie shell. You can either make your own pie shell or buy one. If you use a readymade one, this becomes a really quick and easy recipe.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breasts, no bones or skin
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 9 inch double crust pie shell
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 minced clove garlic
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- Water, as needed
- Cooking oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop the chicken and marinate it in the soy sauce.
- Coat the bottom of a saucepan with cooking oil, then sauté the garlic with the onions over a medium high heat until the onions are just tender but not golden brown.
- Add the chicken and keep cooking until it is cooked through.
- Stir in the honey, carrots, broth, parsley, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Combine the cornstarch with enough water to make paste.
- Bring the chicken mixture to the boil, then add the cornstarch and water mixture.
- Keep cooking everything, stirring all the time, until it is thick.
- You might need to add more cornstarch to thicken it.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into the pie shell, then top with the crust.
- Cut a few slits in the top so steam can escape while it bakes.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and bake for another half an hour or until the crust is golden brown and the pie is hot.
- Serve immediately with vegetables and mashed potatoes.