Spring is finally here and it just makes me want to eat GREEN! Actually, it make me want to grill everything green…and every other color for that matter. I needed to shake it up a bit for dinner this week, but keep it simple because the night-time routine seems to suck up every last-minute. I love cooking, but when it starts to seem more than a chore than a pleasure that tells me it time for a change!
This recipe for broccoli salad is yummy, fast to make, and will keep for a few days. I have some in my lunch bag next to me on the train. Leftovers! Yay!
Start by cooking up some bacon. Next, toast up a handful of slivered or sliced almonds. Do not walk away from them while they are cooking. As soon as they start to turn to a light golden color take them off of they will burn!!! Chop up a couple of big broccoli crowns, a big handful of grapes (I used red to give some color), a few scallions, and celery.
The dressing is also very easy combining mayo (find a natural brand or try making my recipe for No-Fail Homemade Mayonnaise) add a bit of vinegar, (I used apple cider vinegar– but you could also use a red wine vinegar), a bit of raw honey, and my secret weapon seasoning; celery salt. Mix about half of the dressing into the salad to start and then keep adding until you get the coverage you want. I used a little more than half but dressed my hubby’s portion a bit more.
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 heads of broccoli chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 1/2 cups of red seedless grapes quartered
- 1 cup of celery chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup of toasted slivered almonds
- 5 slices of nitrate-free bacon cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of natural mayonnaise or try making your own
- 2 Tbsp of raw honey
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of celery salt
- 1Cook bacon to desired crispness.
- 2Meanwhile, toast almonds in a dry sauté pan for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Stir constantly until a light brown color.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, add the broccoli, grapes, celery, scallions, almonds, and bacon.
- 4In a new mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, honey, vinegar, and celery salt.
- 5Add the desired amount of dressing to the salad, and toss.