This easy chicken and rice burrito recipe is perfect to make at home. It is simple enough to get it right the first time and it is really delicious. The recipe is mild enough for those who don’t want a spicy meal, but it is simple to add a couple peppers and spice it up if you like it hot. Simply add them to the rice when it is cooking in the tomato mixture. The spiciness will infuse every bite.
If you prefer shredded chicken, just take two forks and shred the cooked chicken breast before adding it to the tomato mixture. This burrito is delicious either way. You can use whatever type of tortilla you like best, whether that is a plain flour tortilla, a whole wheat tortilla, an herb, or even a tomato tortilla. The burrito is perfect to eat on its own for a light meal or a snack. You could also serve it with a salad, as our photo shows, or with a side of refried beans topped with cheese.
This simple chicken and rice burrito recipe will never let you down. It is a nice alternative to tacos when you are in the mood for a simple Mexican meal. You can find Mexican oregano in the Latino spices at your local grocery store. It is not the same as Italian oregano. If you have some growing in your garden, feel free to add it instead of using dried.
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano, dried
- 7 ounce can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1-¼ cups grated Monterey Jack or mild cheddar cheese
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Boil a saucepan of lightly salted water. Add rice and let it cook for approximately 8 minutes. Drain the water, rinse the rice, and drain it again.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the cloves, oregano, and onion and let it cook until the onions begin to soften (about 2-3 minutes). Add the rice and tomatoes. Let the mixture cook over low heat until the rice has absorbed all the tomato juice. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and poach the chicken until it is done; about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add it to the rice mixture along with the grated cheese and sour cream. Stir to mix well.
- Wrap your tortillas in foil and set them on a plate over steaming water for 5 minutes to warm them.
- Spoon filling into the middle of a tortilla and fold one side in towards the middle. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla and then fold the other side over to make a tube shape. Bring the top down to form a package. Secure with a small toothpick.
- Store burritos in a casserole dish covered with foil in an oven with low heat until all the burritos have been assembled. Remove the toothpicks before serving.
Made with ❤️ by Carol Genusa
☕️Buy me a coffee!☕️