This orange chicken recipe, made with chili paste, orange juice and various other delicious ingredients, is perfect for a busy week night, since it is one of many easy chicken recipes. There are various recipes for orange chicken and this one uses great, natural ingredients, which combine really well. The sherry, soy sauce, orange juice, ginger, garlic and other ingredients all work together perfectly to give this orange chicken recipe an authentic and delightful taste of China. Whoever would have thought that learning how to make orange chicken would be so simple? Make some fluffy rice to go with it or perhaps you would prefer egg noodles.
If you like to try out international recipes, you might have already checked out some recipes for orange chicken. If you find the orange flavor in this Chinese orange chicken recipe too overpowering, you might want to combine orange juice and water rather than use all orange juice. Some people prefer a milder orange flavor and others prefer something stronger and more flavorful.
Often, when you order this at a Chinese restaurant, it will be incredibly sweet and not everyone enjoys that so much. That is the problem with a lot of westernized Chinese food – it is sweetened too much to suit the western palate. In China, recipes for orange chicken are not sweetened much and most of the flavor comes from the meat and vegetables. The best way to get the right amount of sweetness is to make your own orange chicken recipes at home and then you can control the ingredients yourself.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, in 1 inch cubes
- ½ tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 slice ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Oil for stir frying
- Mix the sherry with the corn flour and marinade the cubed chicken in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Combine the orange juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili paste and brown sugar to make the sauce.
- Heat the wok and add some oil.
- Stir fry the ginger and garlic until it is aromatic.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until it changes color. Push up the wok sides, making a well in the middle. Pour in the sauce. Combine the sauce and chicken, stir frying until everything is hot.
- Serve over white rice or egg noodles.