Marsala is the most famous fortified wine to come from Italy. It is produced in Sicily and contains between seventeen and twenty percent alcohol. It is used as a dessert wine, an after dinner drink or an additive to recipes. Chicken marsala is a wonderfully rich recipe and a lot of people are already familiar with this dish, although maybe not everyone has tried a homemade chicken marsala with mushrooms recipe. As is the case with most dishes, making this recipe yourself means it will exceed the quality of a readymade or restaurant dish just because it is totally fresh. This classic dish is sure to impress.
This chicken marsala recipe contains fennel for an unusual yet delicious aniseed flavor. It also contains mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and onions for an earthy, rich taste. This dish is cooked in one pot. It goes very nicely with white rice and a semi-dry white wine such as Chardonnay. This chicken marsala with mushrooms recipe is very warming, satisfying, and sure to become a favorite dish.
Serve it with rice instead of pasta if you want, so that the rice can soak up some of the wonderful flavors. Remember that cooked white rice stays hot for half an hour in a covered pan so you can start it ahead and not worry about it. When it is done, simply pop the lid on and leave it. It will stay hot and fluffy. You don’t want your wonderful chicken marsala recipe to be ready to serve and your rice to still be hard!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 sliced shallots
- 4 tablespoons light cream
- 6 big sliced mushrooms
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 cups dry marsala wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- ˝ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the chicken in the vegetable oil in a skillet until it is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove it from the skillet and keep it warm.
- Add the marsala to the skillet and bring it to a boil.
- Add the salt, pepper and fennel seeds and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, shallots and mushrooms and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced.
- Remove it from the heat and whisk in the light cream.
- Serve the chicken on a platter topped with the marsala sauce, with your choice of pasta.