This deliciously easy recipe is hot, tasty, and sure to wow the family. The classic Greek flavors of oregano and lemon give this recipe a real Mediterranean feel and the garlic makes it super-delicious. This is also quite a healthy recipe because it is well balanced in terms of ingredients. Anyone living in Greece would recognize this delightful meal as being inspired by typical Greek ingredients.
A lot of the cuisine in Greece is quite simple, featuring perhaps meat or poultry and potatoes, but flavorings like garlic, lemon and herbs add the Mediterranean flavor which makes this cuisine so popular. The corn kernels and chili pepper are to add nutrients and a piquant kick to the flavor but you can omit these ingredients without sacrificing anything from the recipe if you prefer not to include them.
You have the choice of how large or small to make the chicken pieces and potatoes. If you want to chop the chicken quite small and the potatoes too, the cooking time will be less. Chunky potato wedges and larger pieces of chicken will take more time to cook. If the chicken is done before the potatoes, simply transfer it to a bowl and cover it with aluminum foil to keep warm until the potatoes are tender all the way through, then you can serve everything together. Serve this dish hot or warm, perhaps with a simple Greek style salad on the side. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, black olives, and feta cheese would be good ingredients for making a basic Greek salad.
- 3 ½ lbs boneless chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 ½ lbs peeled potatoes, in wedges
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1 sliced red chili (optional)
- ½ cup corn kernels (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat them dry with paper towels. Add the chicken to a roasting pan and arrange the potato wedges around it.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Sprinkle the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic evenly over the chicken and potatoes. Add the red chili if you are using it.
- Add the water and roast uncovered for about an hour. Turn the chicken pieces over halfway through the cooking time.
- You will need to check a few times during cooking that there is still water in the roasting pan. If not, add ¼ or ½ cup more.
- Add the corn kernels 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, if you want to use them.