If you enjoy the taste of margaritas, why not combine the delicious, fresh flavor with some boneless chicken to make a wonderfully unique dish? Lime, tequila, and honey form the base of the sauce and this margarita chicken recipe is served with your preferred side dishes. What about serving the mixture on tortillas and adding tomato and avocado slices to give a real Mexican look and flavor? The chicken is basted with the sauce, so the flavors penetrate deeply. This margarita chicken is both tangy and tasty and the flavors combine wonderfully.
A lot of boneless chicken recipes use lime or honey but this one combines both of those flavors, as well as tequila, for a deliciously different Mexican chicken recipe. Also for an even more special occasion add in some precooked shrimp you can buy this frozen and have it on hand for whenever you’re in the mood for a Mexican inspired chicken and shrimp dish. Do not worry about combining the shrimp and chicken because these two ingredients go together very nicely in this recipe for chicken breast chicken margarita. A lot of people are dubious about combining fish with meat but it does often work. Look at surf and turf, for example, which is steak with prawns, or what about bacon-wrapped shrimp? You can wrap fish with bacon to give it a smoky flavor.
Mexican chicken recipes tend to be healthy because Mexicans enjoy using fresh produce in their recipes, as well as good quality meat, poultry or fish, and the best herbs and spices. This margarita chicken recipe contains fresh tomato, avocado and chili pepper, as well as the spices and other ingredients, to give it a perfect taste. You can adapt this recipe a bit if you want to. The tomato, avocado, and lime are mainly for garnish so if you want to leave one of those ingredients off, it will not matter too much.
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 6 oz cooked shrimp, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 warm flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped habanero pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mexican rice or Spanish rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Mix together the tequila, lime juice, lime zest, oil, garlic salt, pepper, cornstarch and honey in a pan.
- Bring it to a boil, stirring it all the time, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the shrimp to warm them.
- Broil the chicken breasts until they are cooked through with no pink inside.
- This should take about 12 minutes.
- Baste them with the sauce for the final 5 minutes of the cooking time.
- Let the chicken cool a bit, then cut it into small pieces and add it to the shrimp sauce.
- Put a tortilla on each of 4 plates, and then spoon some rice on top.
- Add the shrimp and chicken mixture on top.
- Serve the chopped habanero pepper on the side, for anyone that wants to spice up their margarita chicken.
Looking for more snacks that are easy to make and good for you? Follow my Pinterest board for more ideas! FamilyRecipes