Chicken piccata and veal piccata are traditional Italian dishes. This chicken piccata recipe uses wine and lemon juice for a slightly tart sauce, capers for a salty kick and lemon pepper seasoning for flavor. This is one of many boneless chicken recipes, which uses very few ingredients for a great result. The butter, wine, and lemon used to make the sauce for this chicken piccata recipe is reminiscent of our chicken francaise recipe because the ingredients are so similar. This dish however has a very different feel and the capers and bell peppers give it an aroma, look and flavor of Italy. Lemon is used in lots of international recipes, especially ones containing chicken, because its sharp flavor goes so well with the mildness of the poultry.
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best and this chicken piccata recipe is sure to be one you will want to make again and again. Since only half a cup of dry white wine is used in the recipe, it is worth using a good quality wine and serving the rest with this tasty chicken dish. You can serve this at a dinner party or whenever a couple of friends come over. It is a gourmet dish, which is impressive without being too fussy or elaborate.
Serve it with potatoes, French fries, or rice. Since it is an Italian dish, pasta would also be good and you can choose from fettuccini, tagliatelli or another kind of pasta. Toss the pasta in a little olive oil before serving it, if you like, to give it a glossy sheen.
- 4 chicken breast halves (about 3 oz each), boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons capers
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- 1 ½ lemons
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Chop the red bell pepper into ¼ inch squares.
- Cut the whole lemon into quarters and leave the half a lemon as it is.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the chicken in a shallow dish and sprinkle the lemon pepper seasoning over it.
- Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and keep it warm. If you prefer, you could grill the chicken.
- To do this, you should spray the grill rack with cooking spray and preheat the grill to medium high.
- Put the grill rack about 5 inches above the heat.
- Grill the chicken for about 14 minutes or until it is cooked through, then keep it warm.
- Next make the piccata sauce.
- Melt half the butter in a pan over a medium heat and stir in the flour.
- Keep cooking the mixture for a minute, stirring it to dissolve any lumps.
- Add the wine, the juice from the lemon half, the bell pepper, capers and parsley.
- Cook for another couple of minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Take it off the heat and stir in the rest of the butter.
- Serve the piccata sauce over the chicken and garnish it with the lemon quarters.
Looking for more snacks that are easy to make and good for you? Follow my Pinterest board for more ideas! FamilyRecipes