YUM is the first thing that shoots into my head, just by looking at this picture!
I love my Bomboloni – They’re soft, airy, super easy to make and NOT fried! This is probably the fact I love most.
The dough is prepared really quick, you can either do that in the morning and bake it noon or simply do it the night before.
It’s also really easy to work with the dough, you won’t have any problems.
They get filled right after baking, as soon as you can touch them. For the filling you can be totally creative. Now for Christmas time I love to fill them with some eggnog cream (eggnog = instant vanilla pudding powder), then after Christmas with jam or chocolate spread.
What you need
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
- ⅔ cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Jam, chocolate spread, eggnog cream etc. for filling
How you make it
- In a large bowl combine milk, yeast, 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons sugar
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- Add remaining sugar, egg yolks, butter, flour and orange zest
- Knead for 8 minutes!
- Bring into a ball shape, cover the bowl and let rest for 2 hours or over night
- Now form the dough into a roll and cut off 12 evenly sized pieces
- Form each piece into a ball like shape
- Place balls on a baking sheet with parchment paper and let rest covered with a dish towel for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 395 F
- Bake Bomboloni for 15 minutes
- Right after baking gently brush the Bomboloni with some melted butter and dust them with sugar or powdered sugar
- Once they are cooled down a little you might want to fill them with jam or pudding!
Made with ❤️ by Carol Genusa
☕️Buy me a coffee!☕️